Monday 11 July 2011

Friday's Match Report

Friday's weather held off for long enough that we managed to play Cricket. I was playing for Terenure College (the Walnuts) against the formidable Garda. I was informed they were the strongest team we were likely to face and they were bolstered by a few 1st team players that were rained off the night before.  


We won the toss and elected to bat on what was a very green and soft wicket. With the weather drawing it was decided the game would be 15, 8 ball overs each. 


Things looked bad from the start losing a quick wicket to there opening bowler (a tall and unpleasant type with a massive pot and even bigger mouth). There second bowler was pretty handy too...and their third. It wasn't long before yours, truly placed optimistically at number 4, came into bat. The skipper told me to hang about and that I duly did. I am sure what he actually meant was hang about and score a few, not what I did, which was hang about flashing at everything in sight and scoring very little at a breathtaking slow pace. 7 of 15 balls pretty much derailed the team's entire innings and I think there was huge relief all round when I played on from a ball so slow i could have caught it in my teeth.


Shortly after they ran out our 78 year old number 9 we were eventually bowled out for 62. 


Disappointingly the weather just got better and better and we forced to play their innings too. Big mouth was also opening batsmen too and I could hardly contain my delight when he was clean bowled in the first over. He jumped straight in his car and went home. To everyone's surprise  they scored slowly and wickets fell at regular intervals. Even I had their Captain caught for 5. With 2 overs to go though they needed 5 of 16 balls (8 ball overs remember) with 3 wickets in hand. . Well, blow me if they didn't manage it and with some superb fielding we won by a run. It was, I was informed, one of their greatest victories, so hurray for the Walnuts. 


In all it was a splendid way to spend an evening.


Evo's Statistics:


Batting-
Bowled by 'Some old Dude' for 7 (15)


Bowling-
2-0-1-12











No comments:

Post a Comment