Monday 18 July 2011

Guiness makes Perfect (mess of it)

Friday's Cricket match was against the Guiness Brewery team. I will spare you too many details but they posted a very healthy 120 for 7 at the end of their 15 overs. My bowling is improving and I believe it is getting quicker or I am at least making it seem quicker by grunting as I release the ball. I was economical without getting a wicket and beat the bat a few times (or they played and missed would be more accurate) 


We started strongly and I was waiting to bat at number 5. We were on 40 for 3 when I came in to haunted  by the memory of my game strangling effort of last time. I was determined to make a better fist of it. I duly played and missed the first 4 balls I faced. Fortunately they brought on their 'spinner' in the next over and his slow looping balls were impossible for even me to miss and I slapped him around the pitch for 12 in the over. Eventually I ended up on 19 (you have to retire on 20). I was determined to go out on a high and I duly went out..caught in the deep going for a 6 that I was never going to make. We struggled towards the end and with the final ball we needed 3. The bowler bowling was the 'spinner'...our man smacked it for 4. 


Stats:
Bowling-
2-0-0-6


Batting-
Caught by a youth, bowled by a member of the opposition, 19 (12)


Other News

  • I sent a CV and personalised letter to every film company in Ireland
  • Maybe achieved an interview for a 'real' job this week
  • went to the gym 4 times and ran 5k 3 times
  • Played one of the most exhausting games of 5-aside. 1 hr, no subs and boarded sides so the ball never went out of play.
  • Watched Senna
  • Visited Killkenny 'the most beautiful city in Ireland'- It was very pretty. 
Still no job.....




4 comments:

  1. I dislike boarded sides for that very reason. Knackered after about 10 minutes. Also people seem unable to avoid the temptation to blindly hoof it into the opposing corner, which is no-one's idea of fun.

    What did you think of Senna?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right. It certainly lacked the finesse of a KMA game. I have rarely been more exhausted.

    I really like Senna. I felt sorry for Prost as he seemed to be stitched up. It also was too lenient on Senna and his driving style and it's effect on all the events in the film.

    The highlight for me was a scene at a drivers meeting. There were all these young men from all over the world,in the prime of their lives looking cool....apart from Nigel Mansell who was there in a flat cap and tash. I could not have been more proud to be English.

    The most striking part for me was I had forgotten just how dangerous it was not so long ago. There heads and shoulders were so exposed and the cars had all the speed but non of the safety features. The fatalities were of course harrowing but the shots of Donnely laid in the middle of road, still attached to his seat has stayed with me longer. The way the stewards couldn't do anything to help but just stood at a distance looking at his broken body was tough to watch.

    In all a good film but more of a glorification rather than a documentary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great write-up, much better than mine! I hadn't noticed the Mansell thing at all, that is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will see if I can find you the clip on youtube.

    ReplyDelete