Saturday 5 February 2011

The First Time I Went to London

Before moving to London at 25 I had visited the capital maybe only twice that I can remember, and both when I was quite young. The first time though was very memorable for 2 reasons.

Firstly it was a trip to Wembley to watch Nottingham Forest in the 1989 Littlewoods Cup  Final. I remember it being very exciting to go on a trip to watch the football with my 2 uncle Daves (1 blood,1 Married in) and their mate Stan. From what Dave says Stan was a darter and pub singer of some note. Apparently he does a fantastic Johnny Cash. I saw him last year and though he must be in his 60's and still has a teddyboy quiff. I can't imagine anyone epitomising  to the East Midlands more. We were stood right at the front at one end of the stand. The pitch was at a slightly higher level than the stand and it with the fence that was the way of things then, the view was not the best,. Forest won the game 3-1.

Secondly it was the first time i saw a condom. It was inflated and bouncing around the terraces with cheers. Being young, I didn't know exactly what it was at the time. What I did know was that Dave's amused 'funny looking balloon that Johnny' comment was a gentle education.

The M1 on the way back was grid locked. The weather was red hot and all the cars seemed to be full of Forest fans on their way home. Every one had their windows open and were chatting about the game and singing. A group from a coach were walking among the cars handing out biscuits to other Forest ssupporters in their cars. I got a custard cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment