Tuesday 8 February 2011

Painting a bad picture


Attended the opening night of the Green Week Exhibition at Central St Martins. It was a successful night for the curators. The work was varied and good all round. My particular favourite was a series of lockers containing items the artist had found. They all had signed tags attached to them and you are encouraged to take an item with you as long as you promise to appreciate it. Enjoyed the essential private view red wine in a plastic cup and a few crisps of mixed flavours. When everyone had left we locked up and had an unnecessary pint of IPA in the Shakespeare's Head near Holborn tube with JR and RW. Then another. I bounded on to the tube with a full confidence that I could make the 45 min journey home in 18 mins to meet the Tesco delivery I had ordered (22:00-23:00 slot). It turns out that a 45 min journey takes 45 mins. A 45 min journey can also end in a telling off on your own doorstep by a Tesco delivery driver. I would have argued but I fully deserved it.

Woke early for a squash rematch with JR. JR, stung by his last defeat raced to a 2-0 lead. With a mixture of good play and outrageous fortune I levelled it to 2-2. With the unnecessary IPA  starting to influence matters we were both shattered at the start of the decider. The game got what it deserved and we ended up on 8-8 with me serving and JR calling to my  and possibly his surprise, that we play to 9 (the wise choice is 10). Jack killed my serve and he had his turn to  serve for the match. It was a fantastic point and  with us both wanting to win it happened..... I played a deft drop short to the bottom left corner. Jack got there and played a even defter (more deft?) dink that grazed the wall and fell at his feet. My lanky legs propelled me forward, desperately forward. I thrust my poor quality but overpriced racket low,narrowly missing the retreating JR. It was close.....I missed.......................I called a let.......the next point.....I won........I win.........but I didn't win...........not really..........and not really winning hurts far more than losing.

1 comment:

  1. I would play you at squash but I suck, so I won't.

    ReplyDelete