Sunday 27 February 2011

Fish, France and Photography


Saturday morning. Met James, Cathy and Howard at the Museum of London for the start of a 'London' day. 


James Shanks and I .....waiting for a Salisbury

The reason for meeting at the Museum was to visit the London Street Photography exhibition. It was extremely busy and there was a short wait before we could get in. Howard was looking forward to some quality images of 'street urchins'...he wasn't disappointed.  Urchins were rife. We developed a urchin competition where you had to call your favorite urchin. You could only choose one and once chosen you could not change your mind. I waited till the early sixties and choose a classic urchin working on a market stall. The competition was smashed out of the park by an unbeatable seventies urchin who was smoking, had a gang and was swinging on a rope in a wasteland.. classic urchin. The exhibition was excellent though and I intend to go back when it is a little quieter. 


We then headed into town for lunch. Cathy and Howard had booked us all a table at J Sheeky fish restaurant near Covent Garden. I will admit to being a bit of a food heathen in the past but I am getting better. I did feel bad  having the chicken but it was brilliant. The fried fish starter was good but maybe too much and the plum ripple ice cream and shortbread was superb. 


Then off to Waxy O'Conners to watch England V France in the six nations. It was incredibly busy and with their big screen being very low and me being quite tall I couldn't help pissing off the people behind me. This is the trade off for being able to see I suppose but it is one of the reasons I avoid  situations like small gigs.  The game was scrappy but close and very tense. I absolutely love the six nations but I will write about that another time. We won a tough game and this could set England up for a championship decider in Dublin...Perfect.


To finish the evening we went to the Palm Tree in mile end. An absolute belting pub. It looks like it was once at the end of a terrace which has now disappeared and this gives it a slightly surreal look. It is that good I am annoyed. There is a lack of decent pubs round my way and I could have made great use of this one. 


Last tube home and a bag of chips for the walk from the tube.......Great day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment